My Favorite Kitchen Tool: The Spoonula! by PW Food & Friends

I’ve never been super excited about the prospect of having to scrape out the last bits of food from a jar. In fact, I used to despise it. I just didn’t see the point of meticulously cleaning it out. All that work just to get a minuscule extra bit of food.

But then I married Reuben, AKA “Expert Jar Scraper.” At first I laughed at him for (what I thought of as) obsessively getting the last drop. But gradually it rubbed off on me, and now I take a sort of pride in cleaning out a container well.

Honestly, I still don’t like how tedious the task is. But thankfully I’ve discovered a super handy kitchen tool to make the job easier: a spoonula!

 
 

What exactly is a spoonula, you ask? It’s a spatula that’s curved kind of like a spoon. Spoon + spatula = spoonula! Something about that shape makes scraping out food a dream.

Let’s see how many times I can say “scrape” in some form in this post…

 
 

Okay, let me show you a spoonula in action!

Exhibit A: a nearly-empty peanut butter jar, one of the more difficult things to scrape out.

 
 

The shape of the spoonula allows you to get up under the rim or the jar, which can be difficult for a knife to completely clean.

 
 

The flat end of the spoonula is also great for scraping across the bottom of the jar.

 
 

Look at that! It’s not completely spotless, but it’s pretty good in my book!

 
 

Let’s move on to yogurt. We go through a lot of yogurt in our house, so we’re scraping out tubs often. But a spoonula isn’t just good for scraping out the tub—it’s also great for scooping out portions of yogurt into bowls. I love a double-purpose tool!

 
 

See? Even the larger spoonula made short work of this yogurt container.

 
 

Something else that can be quite annoying to scrape up is grease. I like to use the side or end of a spoonula to scooch it all over to one end of the pan…

 
 

…and then into a jar (or my throw-away grease can if it isn’t savable).

 
 

Now, I don’t think a spoonula is the only spatula that you should own. Different tasks require different spatula shapes (at least, that’s how I justify my large spatula collection). But the spoonula is my personal favorite for jar-scraping. 

 
 

How about you? Do you like to get everything out of a container? What’s your favorite tool for the job?

 
 



from The Pioneer Woman https://ift.tt/2KJ3jJT
https://ift.tt/2SpzVwu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Comforting Braised Pig Feet Recipe Perfect for Your Pressure Cooker

Beyond Impossible: The Sanitarium and World War II Past of Meat Substitutes

Restaurant Workers Are Combing Through Job Listings — But They’re Not Applying