Seeds vs. Plants: A Buying Guide for Budding Gardeners

During the second half of May, I keep an eye on the weather forecast (even more obsessively than usual), because I have dozens of vegetable plants ready to be transplanted into the garden. Here in northeastern Pennsylvania, we can still get a late frost that would be fatal for my tender young plants.

My garden is a mixture of plants from nurseries and ones that I started myself from seed, and whether you should grow from seed or buy plants very much depends on your individual situation. Root vegetables such as beets and parsnips don’t transplant well, and they should be directly seeded in the garden, as should be beans, peas, and leafy greens like lettuce and spinach. For all the others, here’s a list of factors to consider.

Read More >>



from Food52 https://ift.tt/2SvSr9p

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Comforting Braised Pig Feet Recipe Perfect for Your Pressure Cooker

Beyond Impossible: The Sanitarium and World War II Past of Meat Substitutes

Restaurant Workers Are Combing Through Job Listings — But They’re Not Applying